Mar 4, 2012

The Three Questions


There are a few questions I get asked that pop up again and again. These three are the most common, and I will attempt to answer them below:

1. Why on earth are you doing that?
Well, I like having goals, as it gives meaning and direction to regular morning swims in the pool, and a focus for the year. Swimming the English Channel is a huge challenge that raises the hairs on the back of my neck. It demands an enormous amount of dedication, discipline and determination, but it is essentially achievable. It is also a big adventure, though a little bit surreal at times too.

2. Are you planning on putting on some weight?
You know, I've tried my best, but I don't think my body is built for it. I eat enormous quantities of food, but then swim it all off again. It's debatable whether I need large body mass for the swim, but it's important to get used to the cold water, so I swim every weekend in the sea, and have done so all winter.

3. Is Riana going to swim The Channel too?
No. She has more sense. Riana prefers swims in beautiful wild locations, such as Glandore in West Cork, Inisbofin, and Donegal.

No comments:

Post a Comment