Mar 9, 2012

Endurance Charity Swim


Tonight, Friday the 9th of March, Riana and I and about 20 others are taking part in an endurance swim for charity. The swim starts at 10pm at the pool of Source Health & Fitness in Silversprings, Cork, and continues for 8 hours throughout the night, finishing up at 6am on Saturday morning. Myself and those training for the Channel and other marathon swims will be swimming those 8 hours doing 100 metre sprints (4 lengths of the pool) over and over again. There will be triathletes there as well, swapping from the pool to a bike, or even running around the carpark a few times in the middle of the night.

There will be separate lanes for people swimming those 100 metres on 2 minutes, on 1:50, on 1:40, and perhaps a cool-down slow lane or two. I will be in whatever lane my coach tells me to be in (to be perfectly honest), but most likely I will be doing them on 1 minute 50 seconds. It will be a challenge to keep up the pace and intensity for 8 hours, but the real challenge is the mental one, to push beyond the exhaustion after a week of work and training and sleep deprivation.


The event is organised by our super-coach, Eilis Burns, and is in aid of the charity The Moses Foundation. The Moses Foundation do a lot of good work with schools in Swaziland and Uganda, and the event tonight is expected to raise thousands of Euro for them, a great achievement by one person for a great cause.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, great swim, I wish I were there with you all! Just keep swimming!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great swim paraic! My face but was when rob paused, sniffed the air and claimed "I can smell France!"

    ReplyDelete